Welcome to the West Virginia
Bureau for Child Support Enforcement
Employer Resource Center

The West Virginia Bureau for Child Support Enforcement (BCSE) has designed this website to address questions you may have concerning your role in the child support process.  We appreciate your cooperation in this collaborative effort to secure child support payments and medical coverage for our children in West Virginia and nationwide.  If you have questions about the website, please call the Child Support Employer Relations Unit at 800-835-4683 (or 304-558-1134 in Kanawha County) or email dhhrbcseeru@wv.gov.

Employers have four basic responsibilities in the child support operation.  They are:

  • reporting new hires and responding to employment verification requests,
  • withholding income and premiums for medical insurance,
  • sending payments to BCSE, and
  • reporting employment terminations when there are existing orders.


Effective June 5, 2012, West Virginia Code § 48-18-125 new hire reporting requirements apply to independent contractors in the same manner as employees.

The West Virginia Legislature has enacted a provision which now requires that employers must report the hiring, rehiring, or return to work of all independent contractors who receive compensation or execute a contract for services performed for that employer when payment for services equals or exceeds $2500.00 in any year. The reporting must be done at the time the contract is executed or the first payment, whichever is earlier.

** NOTE **

All employers must notify the BCSE two weeks prior to issuing employee bonuses of $100 or more to any employee for whom an income withholding is in effect. You must inform the BCSE of the employee’s name, the last four digits of that employee’s Social Security number, and the amount of the bonus. This information can be relayed to the BCSE electronically at www.dhhr.wv.gov/bcse/erc, fax at 304-558-1487, or by telephone at 800-835-4683 (or 304-558-1134 in Kanawha County).

Employers with more than fifty employees must use Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to transmit support payments electronically to the BCSE. For information on how to initiate this process, please contact an employer service representative at 800-835-4683 (or 304-558-1134 in Kanawha County) or email dhhrbcseeru@wv.gov.