Pinecrest Hospital was authorized by an Act of the Legislature in 1927 and opened in March of 1930 as a Tuberculosis Sanitarium. Pinecrest had its highest enrollment of TB patients in March of 1953, at which time there was a 655 bed capacity with 631 patients and a waiting list of 81 patients. Due to the advancement of medical technology, in-patient treatment of TB has decreased and we currently have a TB unit with a capacity to treat 5 patients. In December of 1970, Pinecrest initiated the transition from TB to long-term care for the elderly, but the standard of care yet remains to this day. Currently, the facility has a 144 bed capacity.
On November 4th, 2009, the facility changed it's name to honor the late delegate from Raleigh County, Jackie Withrow (pictured right), officially becoming Jackie Withrow Hospital. W. W. "Jackie" Withrow was first elected to the House of Delegates in 1960, becoming the first woman to serve in this branch of state government. For 18 years, she was an advocate for the people of West Virginia, quickly holding state government accountable when it was felt the needs of the people were not being met. She felt it necessary to visit state health and social service institutions and would call attention, popular or not, to the maltreatment of patients in these facilities. Upon her retirement from her seat in the House in 1978, she was honored by all of her peers for the legacy she left behind. Never forgetting her calling, she continued to volunteer at the Beckley VA Medical Center where she was awarded the Distinguished Volunteer Award from President Reagan. Jackie Withrow passed away on November 11th, 2010 at the age of 92. In the minds of most, it was only fitting that a facility that provides comfort and security to those in need of it is named after such a fine and distinguished West Virginian.