Cancer Reporting (Specialized Registry Reporting Measure) for Modified Stage 2 Meaningful Use
The West Virginia Cancer Registry (WVCR) is now enrolling eligible professionals (EPs) who wish to implement electronic reporting of cancer data from certified electronic health record (EHR) systems under the Specialized Registry Reporting Measure for Meaningful Use (MU). (Please note that hospitals cannot conduct cancer reporting under Meaningful Use.) We encourage all EPs to participate in this important public health activity if you meet eligibility criteria.
The information below provides an overview of the Modified Stage 2 MU cancer reporting process in West Virginia for the 2017 reporting period. If you meet all eligibility criteria and wish to register, please print the "Meaningful Use Modified Stage 2 Cancer Reporting Checklist and Instructions" document, which contains more detailed information regarding each of the steps below. Please use this checklist as you move through the process to achieve ongoing data submission to the West Virginia Cancer Registry.
DECLARATION OF READINESS STATEMENT (posted June 28, 2017): The WVCR will begin accepting Stage 3 registrations January 1, 2018, for the 2018 reporting period. In 2018, EHR systems must be certified to the 2015 Edition CEHRT for cancer reporting.
It is VERY IMPORTANT that providers keep a record of all communications received from public health throughout the registration, onboarding, testing, and production process, as well as any other documentation that may be needed for attestation or auditing purposes. Examples may include e-mails, screen shots proving date of registration, acknowledgement letters, etc. Due to the large volume of registrants, public health programs will not have the capacity to prepare such a log on your behalf.
- Are you an eligible professional (EP) that diagnoses or treats cancer patients? (If you are a hospital or a hospital-based EP, or if you do not diagnose or treat cancer patients, you cannot select cancer reporting. Individual EPs or EPs in group practices may select cancer reporting.)
- Do you have an Electronic Health Record (EHR) system that is certified for cancer reporting? If your system is not certified for cancer reporting at the beginning of your reporting period, you cannot select cancer. (To look up your EHR system, visit the Certified Health IT Product List website. Enter your product or vendor name and select your product from the list. Select "Details" to the right of your product version. Scroll down the Certification Criteria list and look for 170.314(f)(5) and 170.314(f)(6). If both are checked in the list, your product is certified for cancer reporting. If one or both are missing, your product is not certified for cancer reporting. Contact your EHR vendor to determine if and when cancer reporting will be available and to discuss alternate specialized registry reporting options.)
- If you meet both eligibility criteria, you must register your intent to report cancer data to the WVCR using the Meaningful Use Registration System within 60 days after the start of your 2017 reporting period. Download the "Registration System Instructions" to assist with registering. Call or e-mail Myra Fernatt at (304) 356-4953 if you have any questions while completing your registration. Please be aware of the following:
- If multiple physicians in a group practice or clinic are moving through MU concurrently, one registration can be entered under the practice name. Multiple registrations are not required.
- If you previously registered for cancer reporting and your registration status was "In Review," "Registered - In Queue," "First or Second Invitation," "Testing and Validation Queue," or "Production" at the end of 2016, you do not have to register again. Your previous registration will continue in 2017. If you are uncertain of your status, please call or e-mail Myra Fernatt at (304) 356-4953.
- It is not the responsibility of the West Virginia Cancer Registry to know whether your reporting period is the full 2017 calendar year or any 90-day period in 2017. Once you determine your reporting period, please remember that you must register within 60 days after the start of your reporting period.
- After you submit your registration, the Registration Status will indicate "In Review" in the Meaningful Use Registration System, and your Primary Contact will receive an e-mail confirmation indicating that the registration was successfully saved. WVCR staff will review the registration information, contact your Primary Contact if more information is needed, and will change the Registration Status to "Registered - In Queue." Your Primary Contact will receive an e-mail confirming that you have been placed in the cancer reporting queue.
TESTING AND VALIDATION
- Your Primary Contact and Technical Contact will eventually receive an e-mail invitation from WVCR staff to begin testing and validation. As soon as a timely response is received to this invitation, WVCR staff will change the Registration Status to "Testing and Validation Queue."
- During testing and validation, your office should continue sending paper cancer reports to the WVCR via mail or fax until you have successfully achieved ongoing submission.
- As soon as you are added to the Testing and Validation Queue, your Technical Contact must establish a data transport method. Currently the only data transport method offered by the WVCR is secure FTP. Your Technical Contact should e-mail Myra Fernatt for instructions to connect directly to the WVCR via secure FTP.
- Once the connection has been established, your Technical Contact should transmit a test HL7 CDA message via the transport route.
- Once the test message is received, WVCR staff will perform structure and content validation using the tool "CDA Validation Plus," visual edits, comparison to paper reports, etc.
- WVCR staff will contact your Technical Contact and Primary Contact to indicate if the message passes initial validation. If it does not, WVCR staff will provide additional information regarding message issues. Your Technical Contact, Primary Contact, and other office staff must work together to address and correct these isues. Once all issues have been addressed, your Technical Contact should transmit another test CDA message via the transport route. This step will continue until the CDA messages are correct in structure and content.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF 2017 CANCER REPORTING CRITERIA MET
- If you meet at least one of the criteria for the specialized registry reporting (cancer reporting) measure at the end of your 2017 reporting period (registered and being held in a queue, being in testing and validation, or having achieved ongoing data submission), WVCR staff will send an e-mail to your Primary Contact. The e-mail will contain a link from which the Primary Contact can obtain a PDF document indicating that at least one of the criteria for cancer reporting was met.
- At the end of the 2017 reporting period, if you are still waiting for an invitation to begin testing and validation, or if you are actively engaged in testing and validation, you should continue working with WVCR staff to achieve ongoing submission of data.
ONGOING SUBMISSION OF DATA
- Once WVCR staff have determined that your CDA messages are correct in structure and content, you will be moved from testing to production, and WVCR staff will change the Registration Status in the Meaningful Use Registration System to "Production."
- After achieving ongoing data submission, WVCR will request that you complete a "Provider Site Responsibilities and Contact Information Form" in the event that your ongoing Primary and Technical Contacts are different than those specified during testing and production.
ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS REGARDING MEANINGFUL USE?
Meaningful Use Resources
- The Centers for Disease Control's National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR) Meaningful Use website
contains numerous guidance documents for EHR/EMR vendors and providers.
- Questions about the EHR Incentive Program registration, attestation, eligibility, and other Meaningful Use criteria should be directed to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Program